These banana flapjack bars are the perfect snack for toddlers and children! They can be frozen for 6 weeks and take just 30 minutes to defrost Sunny absolutely loves them and it is so nice to have a homemade snack in the freezer full of goodness. They are not overly sweet to keep them as healthy as possible, but the maple syrup can be adjusted if you have a sweeter tooth!
They are halfway between a chewy oaty flapjack and a banana loaf and although I usually make them for Sunny, Ben and I love to keep a few for ourselves to enjoy with a good cuppa!
The added flaxseed is a great source of plant based omega 3’s and b vitamins and using cashew butter instead of the usual butter or oil makes them much more nutritious than traditional flapjacks! Feel free to sub the cashew butter for peanut or other nut butters and add vegan chocolate chips, raisins or extra nuts.
BANANA FLAPJACK BARS (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE, REFINED SUGAR FREE, OIL FREE)
Makes 12 flapjacks
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50-60 minutes
- 200g oats (gluten free if needed)
- 3 tbsp. cashew butter
- 2 mashed bananas
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- 200ml water
- 2 tbsp. flaxseed
- Preheat the oven to 150’C and line a small baking tray with baking paper and grease with a drop of oil
- Mash the bananas as fine as possible – no lumps!
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and stir well until all ingredients are combined
- Transfer to a baking tray and using a spoon push down until flat
- Bake in the oven for between 45-60 minutes depending on the size of your baking tray. They are ready when the top is golden and crispy
- Leave to cool in the tray