These crispy and chewy BBQ ribs with creamy cheesy macaroni and stir fried green beans are absolutely delicious and perfect when you fancy something a bit special! This is an ideal dinner party or Sunday lunch recipe and is so simple as most of the prep can be done ahead of time. I haven’t eaten meat in a long time but the texture of the sticky chewy BBQ tofu ribs is just how I remember it with none of the cruel and unhealthy animal products in sight!
I wanted to make the mac and cheese extra decadent so I decided to play around with the recipe to create something more creamy and luxurious. You would never guess but the sauce is made from cashews, nutritional yeast, coconut milk, carrots, potatoes, onions and garlic! But it totally works and is hands down the best mac and cheese sauce I have ever had!
If you are after a delicious pudding to finalise your dinner party menu check out my dark chocolate rum truffles which only have 4 ingredients and are absolutely heavenly. Another fab dessert is my chocolate fudge cake which takes a bit more work than the truffles but is simple to follow and well worth it!
I hope you LOVE this recipe as much as we do and please let me know if you try it!
BBQ TOFU RIBS WITH MAC AND CHEESE AND GREEN BEANS (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE)
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
- 400g tofu
- 200g fine green beans
- 350g macaroni pasta (gluten free if needed)
- 1 tbsp. cornflour
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp. peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. pomegranate molasses
- 1 clove of crushed garlic / garlic puree
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. tomato puree
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice (use 1/4 tsp if you are sensitive to spice)
- 1 tsp oregano
Mac and cheese
- 1 large potato (around 1 cup when chopped)
- 1 small carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 x 400ml can of coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked for 6+ hours)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper
- Start by pressing the tofu by wrapping in kitchen roll or a clean tea towel and placing between two heavy objects
- Make the BBQ marinade by combining all the sauce ingredients into a large bowl and using a whisk to mix thoroughly. Pour the sauce into a small saucepan and bring to the boil and simmer for a couple of minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Preheat the oven to 180’C
- Slice the tofu lengthways to create thin strips and dip in the marinade before placing on baking tray covered in tin foil or baking paper. Save about 1/4 of the marinade to drizzle on the tofu once it is baked.
- Once all the tofu is lined up on the baking tray place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes turning every 15 minutes
- To make the cheese sauce peel and chop the potato, carrot, onion and garlic and place in a pan of water and boil for about ten minutes until soft
- Place the vegetables and all of the other cheese sauce ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth with no lumps. Pour the sauce into a small saucepan and set aside
- Cook the macaroni as per the packets instructions in a pan of salted water
- While the tofu and macaroni is cooking trim the green beans and fry in olive oil with a pinch of salt and pepper for a few minutes. Add a splash of water to the pan if it feels a bit dry
- Once the macaroni is cooked drain the pasta and if needed reheat the sauce gently before stirring into the pasta
- Remove the tofu from the oven and either serve with the macaroni and green beans family style in the middle of the table or place on warm plates. If you have any marinade left add a splash of hot water to loosen it and drizzle over the BBQ tofu ribs. Heaven!