Chocolate and cherries is one of those combinations that is just perfect, and is Ben’s absolute favourite. Before we were vegan I used to make Ben a Black Forest Gateaux for special occasions and I have been trying to create a vegan recipe he would enjoy as much and according to him these brownies are even better! They are halfway between a brownie and a torte and are so rich and gooey they are absolutely irresistible!
Despite being so decadent and chocolatey these black forest chocolate brownies are full of goodness with raw cacao, ground almonds, fresh cherries and my secret ingredient…..chickpeas!! I love flourless cakes and brownies so I though I would try and use ground almonds and chickpeas instead of gluten free flour which worked perfectly! No guilt required so get baking!
If you love a sweet treat my most popular recipe by far to date is my tahini chocolate fudge so be sure to check it out!
BLACK FOREST CHOCOLATE BROWNIES (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE)
Serving size – 10 brownies
Prep time – 10 minutes
Cook time – 25 minutes
- 1 cup/1/2 a can of cooked chickpeas
- 125ml/1/2 cup plant milk
- 3 tbsp. raw cacao
- 2/3 cup/80g ground almonds
- 100g vegan dark chocolate (I used 70%)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 cup/120g coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup/60ml maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. arrow root powder (or sub corn flour)
- 100g cherries
- pinch of salt
- Gently melt the coconut oil and chocolate until it forms a smooth glossy paste
- Chop the cherries into small pieces and set aside
- Preheat the oven to 180’C
- Add all ingredients except the cherries into a food processer and process for a few minutes until combined – make sure the mixture has no lumps!
- Stir in the cherries then pour the mixture into a greased baking tray and bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes. Let the brownies cool in the tray and then cut into squares. Keep in the fridge for 5 days or in a sealed tin at room temperature for 2 days.