Who knew a delicious quiche could be both gluten free and vegan! Bring on my broccoli and peas quiche with a sweet potato crust! This recipe came about when I was thinking of easy picnic recipes I could make in the morning before heading out on a lovely family day in the sunshine, but it would be just as perfect for a light supper with salad or an easy lunchbox meal for the week!
There is something so deliciously summery and English about quiche but traditionally it is made with heavy cream and eggs, neither of which are allowed in my kitchen! I have been experimenting and experimenting trying to find a way to create that lovely quiche texture and I have finally found the perfect combo – silken tofu and hummus! Ben will say I find a way to add hummus to anything but I promise I am not crazy and in this case it is a match made in heaven! Add whichever veggies you like and bake in the oven and you have an easy and delicious quiche packed with fibre, vitamins and minerals and low in fat.
The sweet potato crust is an equal winner in this recipe as it is just so easy! I have made lots of lovely gluten free crusts using oat flour and ground almonds but they are very time consuming and sweet potatoes have a lovely taste and texture I actually now much prefer.
If you like sweet potatoes give my sweet potato pizza crust a try! Only 3 ingredients, vegan, gluten free and so easy and delicious.
BROCCOLI AND PEAS QUICHE WITH SWEET POTATO CRUST (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 mug of peas
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 300g silken tofu
- 3 tbsp. hummus
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180’C
- Peel and slice the sweet potato into rounds about 1/8 inch thick.
- Spray a quiche tray with cooking spray and place the sweet potato to create a crust shape. It is important to overlap the pieces as the sweet potato will shrink while cooking! Cut the rounds in half to create the side of the quiche and then spray again with cooking oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes
- While the sweet potato is cooking finely chop the onion, garlic and broccoli
- Heat a frying pan on medium and fry the onion in olive oil for about 5 minutes with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the garlic and broccoli and fry for a couple more minutes with a splash of water until the broccoli is tender. Add the peas, thyme and oregano and cook for a further minute. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together the silken tofu, hummus and nutritional yeast. Add the cooked vegetables and stir to combine.
- When the sweet potato crust is ready add the quiche mixture and return to the oven for another 15-20 minutes until set and brown on top.
- Serve warm. Lovely with a simple green salad.