I love this vegan cream cheese recipe so much I can’t wait for you all to try it! It is sharp, tangy, smooth and creamy – all the things I have missed about cream cheese! I love adding a big dollop onto a baked potato with some broccoli and it is delicious slathered on my favourite gluten free toast for breakfast – heaven!
You can use this vegan cream cheese in so many different recipes – adding a spoonful to any pasta dish to make it creamy, a layer in a lasagne, on fajitas or tacos as a sour cream alternative, as a sandwich spread or as a dip for pizza! It is my new favourite and must have in my fridge at all times!
I love adding walnut oil for an omega 3 boost but this works with coconut oil, olive oil or rapeseed oil – just choose an oil you don’t mind the flavour of. Walnut oil has a mild nutty flavour which works really well, but if you can’t find any another plant oil will be equally delicious!
This vegan cream cheese recipe creates quite a smooth and runny cream cheese which is great for lots of recipes, but if you prefer something that will set in the fridge for toast use 100ml of water instead of 200ml and leave in the fridge for a few hours.
CASHEW CREAM CHEESE (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE)
Serving – about 250g
Prep time – 10 minutes
Cook time – 0 minutes
Total time – 10 minutes
- 1 cup of cashews (200g)
- 200ml water (or 100ml if you want a thick set cream cheese)
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp sweet white miso
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. walnut oil (or plant oil of choice)
- Soak the cashews for 8+ hours in cold water or 10 minutes in boiling water then drain and rinse well
- Add to a high powered blender with all the other ingredients and blend until smooth
- Transfer to a airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 5 days