Sunny goes absolutely crazy when I make this Indian creamy masala curry and can eat the most enormous bowl! Curry is her favourite food and she loves all the recipes I cook, but the creamy cashews and crispy baked tofu make this tofu masala extra specially delicious! It’s the perfect curry for kiddies as blending the vegetables creates a lovely smooth sauce which is lovely with rice, and Sunny thinks its super fun to dip the tofu in the sauce (find me a toddler that doesn’t like dips!) It is also one of those recipes you can whip up really quickly and looks and tastes like you have spent hours slaving away in the kitchen!
I wanted to create a really simple curry that shows how easy it is to create authentic tasting healthy Indian food at home with simple inexpensive ingredients and limited cooking experience. This entire recipe only has 7 ingredients and takes around half an hour to make – a perfect weekday supper.
I am obsessed with Indian food and have lots of curries on SUNNY PEAS so please have a look and let me know if you make any!
INDIAN CREAMY TOFU MASALA CURRY (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 red onion
- 400g tomatoes
- thumb of ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 400g block of firm tofu
- 50g raw cashews
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 1-2 red chillies (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180’C
- Soak the cashews in warm water
- Press and slice the tofu into bite sized chunks and toss in vegetable oil of choice,1 tsp of the garam masala and a pinch of salt. Add to a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes, tossing half way through
- Slice the onions and fry in a splash of oil for 8-10 minutes on a medium heat until soft
- While the onions are cooking chop the garlic, ginger, chillies (if using) and tomatoes
- Add the garlic, ginger and remaining 2 teaspoons of garam masala to the onions with a splash of water and a pinch of salt and fry for a few minutes
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until soft
- Transfer the tomato curry to a blender and add the drained and rinsed cashews
- Blend for a couple of minutes until really smooth then return to the pan
- When the tofu is ready add to the sauce and stir. Delicious with brown or white basmati rice