I love a big warm bowl of hearty soup and with the weather getting so cold it’s just what I fancy for lunch. I created this vegan minestrone soup with Sunny in mind as she loves pasta, carrots, tomatoes, chickpeas and green beans so I knew it would be a winner! Happily it didn’t disappoint and it is a new favourite!
Although I am missing the warmer weather I am having so much fun experimenting with wintery recipes it almost makes up for it. I know it’s only November but I already have my thinking cap on for my Christmas menu which I will be sharing with you all soon!
If you love soup and feel in need of a winter warmer have a look at my roasted cauliflower and broccoli soup with almonds, my roasted tomato and basil soup with red lentils and my personal favourite my kale, butterbean and sun dried tomato soup which is absolutely delicious!
MINESTRONE SOUP (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE)
Serves – 4
Prep time – 5 minutes
Cook time – 20 minutes
Total time – 25 minutes
- 100g macaroni pasta (gluten free if needed)
- 1 x 400g tin of tomatoes
- 2 carrots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 200g green beans
- 1 litre of veg stock
- 25g fresh basil (or sub 1tsp dried basil)
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 x 400g cans of chickpeas
- Finely chop and fry the onion and garlic on a medium heat in a splash of oil for around 5 minutes until soft
- While the onion is cooking chop the carrots and green beans into bite sized pieces
- Add to the pan and cook for another couple of minutes
- Add the chopped tomatoes, herbs, sugar, salt, nutritional yeast, chickpeas and vegetable stock and cook for around 10 minutes
- Add the pasta and simmer gently until tender
- Stir in the fresh basil and taste to check the seasoning – if needed add a pinch of salt or sugar
- Serve hot – lovely with some warm toast if hungry!