We are big pasta lovers in our home and eat it at least twice a week, but this penne pasta with mushrooms, leeks and kale in a white wine sauce is a little bit special! It is really simple, and we didn’t even realise until after we were eating that we hadn’t added any herbs, but the simplicity of it makes it even more special as the white wine and garlic flavours really shine through with the delicate oniony notes from the shallots and leeks. Cooking the kale and leeks in vegetable stock was a new method for us and a real winner! It not only enhanced the flavour of the kale but softened the leaves without losing any of the goodness – perfect!
Some of my other favourite pasta dishes I would recommend include my spaghetti and vegan meatballs in a roasted red pepper sauce, my lots of greens pesto pasta for a health boost and my spaghetti carbonara with sun dried tomatoes and shiitake mushroom bacon – carb heaven!
Tip – the sauce itself freezes really well so if you are looking to save time make double and freeze half, but I would advise cooking the vegetables and pasta fresh to keep the dish at it’s best.
I would love to know what you think so if you make this recipe or any of my others please comment below!
PENNE PASTA WITH MUSHROOMS, LEEKS AND KALE IN A CREAMY WHITE WINE AND GARLIC SAUCE (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 250g portabello mushrooms (or any mushrooms you fancy!)
- 200ml white wine
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 200ml unsweetened plant milk
- 100g raw cashew nuts (soaked for 15 mins in boiling water or 6+ hours in cold water)
- 1 leek
- 2 shallots
- 100g cavelo nero/kale
- 200g penne pasta (gluten free if needed – we use brown rice penne)
- Start by making your white wine and garlic sauce by chopping the shallots and garlic and adding to a pan with a splash of oil. Fry gently for a couple of minutes until soft then add the white wine, turn the heat up and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add to a blender with the plant milk, soaked cashews and a pinch of salt and lots of black pepper. Set aside.
- Chop the mushrooms into bite sized pieces and fry in a splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt until soft. If they release a lot of liquid keep frying until this has been reabsorbed. Set aside.
- Finely slice the kale and leeks then fry together on a high heat in a splash of oil, the vegetable stock and a pinch of salt and pepper. Keep frying until the vegetables are soft and the stock has been mostly reduced.
- Add the mushrooms back into the pan with the white wine sauce from the blender and warm through.
- Stir into your pasta and serve immediately.