There is something about this time of year that just makes me want to cuddle up with a big mug full of hot chocolate and feel warm and cosy with the wind and rain blowing outside! Since turning vegan I have had a few hot chocolates using shop bought hot chocolate and plant milk but always felt guilty about the rubbish I was putting in my body! So this year I was determined to create something full of goodness and even more tasty! I also had the added incentive of having a toddler to introduce to Christmas and all of the wonderful wintery things that go with it – and Sunny’s first introduction to my home made hot chocolate went down very well!
This rich and creamy hot chocolate recipe is hands down WAY richer, creamier and more chocolatey than anything you can buy in the shops and is full of delicious and nutritious whole food ingredients including cashews, raw cacao and dates. Feel free to adjust the amount of dates depending on your sweetness preference – I would say this recipe is of medium sweetness and probably not as sweet as you would get in a coffee shop so if that is what you are after throw in a couple more dates!
RICH AND CREAMY HOT CHOCOLATE (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
- 1/4 cup / 40g raw cashew nuts (soaked for 6+ hours or 30 minutes in boiling water)
- 3 tbsp. raw cacao powder (or sub cocoa powder)
- 4 dates (we love the gooey medjool dates the best!)
- 2 tsp tahini
- 500ml plant milk
- pinch of salt
- Place all ingredients into a high speed blender and process for a few minutes until smooth and creamy
- Heat gently in a saucepan until warm and serve in your favourite mugs!