This delicious roasted pepper salad and walnut caper parsley pesto dressing is my absolute new favourite meal I am obsessed with it! The pesto is the real star of the dish and is just so tangy and full of flavour I can’t get enough of it. It is one of those meals you eat and it just makes you smile! I have discovered charlotte potatoes this year and holy moly they are just the tastiest little potatoes I have ever eaten! If you haven’t had them before they are worth seeking out as have so much more flavour than most other varieties of salad potatoes and are just gorgeous roasted with a splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt. I could eat a bowl of them on their own!
Since Sunny has been old enough to eat with us I am really trying to experiment with recipes and expose her to all the amazing healthy vegan foods we love! Luckily she has been really receptive to the food we offer (so far!) and is a big fan of lentils, beans and pulses. As long as something has a tasty sauce she seems happy to give it a try! I love watching her little fingers picking up lentils with such enjoyment it makes me so proud to be a vegan mama! If you love lentils as much as I do give my roasted cauliflower with green lentils and a red pepper cashew cream a try! Another toddler approved dish is my simple lentil and black bean stew which Sunny loves with avocado toast!
ROASTED ROMANO PEPPERS AND NEW POTATOES WITH GREEN LENTILS AND A WALNUT CAPER PARSLEY PESTO (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 2 romano peppers (feel free to use bell peppers as a substitution)
- 500g new potatoes (we love charlotte potatoes if in season!)
- 1 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper
- 80g rocket / arugula salad
Walnut caper parsley pesto
- handful of fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp. capers
- the juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 100g walnuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- If possible soak your walnuts for 6-8 hours or overnight, but if not cover with boiling water from the kettle and leave for 30 minutes
- Pre head the oven to 190’C
- Chop the new potatoes into bite sized pieces and add to a baking tray with the thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss well to combine and bake in the oven for about 30-45 minutes turning ever 20 mins or so.
- Chop the peppers and add to a baking tray with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for about 20 minutes, turning half way through.
- While the vegetables are cooking rinse the lentils and cook as per your packets instructions. Usually simmering for about 20 minutes.
- Make the pesto by combining all the ingredients in a food processor and processing until smooth.
- When everything is ready plate the bowls by starting with a handful of rocket / arugula and half the lentils in each bowl. Top with a drizzle of the pesto dressing before adding the roasted peppers and new potatoes before topping with the rest of the sauce. Enjoy!
TIP – This salad keeps really well just keep the pesto and rocket / arugula separate to the vegetables until you are ready to eat.