This roasted tomato and basil soup with red lentils has officially become my new favourite lunch! I can’t take credit I’m afraid as the recipe was created by my lovely mum who was happy for me to share it with you all! I know it is summer and I should be making salads not soup but after the unseasonable thunderstorms and rain we have had in England over the last few weeks soup has been just what I fancied!
I can’t think of many more perfect partnerships than the simple flavours of tomato and basil, and in the summer tomatoes are just so sweet and juicy I am trying to find ways to eat them with every meal. Even if your tomatoes are not sweet enough to enjoy raw roasting them in olive oil just brings out all the wonderful bright flavours and you have summer in a bowl! Adding the roasted pepper adds a richness and the protein punch from the red lentils keeps you lovely and full.
Soup for me is just one of those comforting meals I really enjoy, and I am loving sharing my favourite recipes with Sunny. One of my earliest food memories was enjoying my Grandma’s soup made with vegetables grown in the garden. She always told me the recipe was different every time but to me it always tasted the same and was just perfect. Soup is a great way to introduce toddlers to new flavours if they are a bit unsure about textures. Sunny will always give a blended soup a try but when I offer her a chunky soup/ stew it is a bit hit or miss if she hasn’t tried it before! However her favourite soup is my lentil and black bean stew which is full of chunks – who said toddlers make sense! A couple of my favourites are my kale, butterbean and sun-dried tomato soup and my roasted cauliflower and broccoli soup which always hit the spot!
ROASTED TOMATO AND BASIL SOUP WITH RED LENTILS (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 200g tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 125g red lentils
- 1 red pepper
- 850ml vegetable stock
- 25g fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Heat the oven to 180’C and chop the tomatoes into quarters and cut the pepper into bite sized pieces
- Toss in olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper before roasting for 20-30 minutes, turning halfway through
- While the tomatoes are cooking chop the onion and sauté in olive oil on a medium heat for 5-7 minutes until soft
- Add the lentils and vegetable stock and bring to the boil
- Turn down the heat to low and simmer partially covered for 25-30 minutes
- Add roasted veg and a handful of basil to the pan (save a little basil for garnish)
- Blend until desired consistency
- Serve warm garnished with fresh basil