When I created this sun-dried tomato and basil pate I was intending to make a creamy almond based sun-dried tomato and basil cheese….BUT when I tasted my first batch I couldn’t believe how much it tasted like pate so decided to scrap the cheese idea and perfect a vegan pate instead! Pate is one of those things I had completely removed from my brain as thought I could never eat it again but here we go, proving myself right – anything can be veganized!
The combination of the sun-dried tomatoes, basil and almonds comes together to create a gorgeously creamy pate which tastes just like I remember Brussels pate from my non vegan days. It is gorgeous slathered over some toast or in a sandwich with fresh green peppers and you could also use it as part of a Christmas nibbles board with crackers, vegan cheese, crudités and chutneys. It is the perfect little appetiser when you have friends over for a glass of bubbles and I can’t wait to share it with friends and family over the holidays!
Another lovely recipe I recently made which would be fabulous with the pate and some crudités and crackers is my tangy cashew cheese packed with heathy cashews, miso and walnut oil.
Cashews are absolutely one of my favourite foods as they are so versatile and can be used to make anything vegan creamy, but I am so pleased to have found a new nut based snack using almonds as they are one of the healthiest and most nutritious nuts you can eat. There is extensive evidence to suggest consuming almonds regularly helps with both heart and brain health and they are actually one of the only nuts that help alkalize the digestive tract reducing acid build up and stabilising the body’s PH level which is crucial for immunity and disease prevention. That’s a reason enough for me to stock up on my almonds and get cooking!
I hope everyone is getting into the Christmas spirit I know we are! Sunny has been loving her home made advent calendar and can’t wait for Father Christmas to arrive in a couple of weeks! We are so lucky that most of our family is vegan so we can enjoy a special family Christmas together with lots of delicious plant based foods.
If you make this pate I would love to hear what you think! Let me know by commenting below.
SUN-DRIED TOMATO AND BASIL PATE (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE)
Yield – 2 small ramekins of pate
Prep time – 5 minutes
Total time – 10 minutes active time + 4 hours in the fridge
- 4 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 100g / 1 cup of ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt / 1 tsp garlic puree
- 165ml / 2/3 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 1.5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp. tomato puree
- 4-5 large sun dried tomatoes
- 25g fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp. agar flakes
- Whisk together the agar flakes with the plant milk, tomato puree and olive oil and leave on one side for a few minutes
- Add the mixture into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for a few minutes stirring frequently
- Pour the mixture over the garlic salt, ground almonds, salt and nutritional yeast and give a good stir to combine really well
- Finely chop the sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil and fold into the pate
- Spoon the mixture into your ramekin of choice and set in the fridge for 3-4 hours to set