Tofu for me is one of those “can’t live without it” ingredients that tastes delicious with so many different flavour combinations. My weekly shop will have at least 4 packs of tofu as not only do I love it but it’s one of Sunny’s favourites too. She even loves it raw! Tofu is an amazing protein boost in Asian stir fries, curries and salads, Mediterranean pasta dishes, and can even be used to create sweet treats, quiches and vegan scrambled “eggs”! I couldn’t survive without it in my kitchen and as we use this recipe so often with various meals I thought it deserved a stand alone post!
Baking the marinated tofu on a high heat gives the most amazing crispy coating with a lovely soft moist centre which has taken on all the delicious Asian flavours. We usually enjoy this recipe with Thai curries, stir fries, veggie bowls and fresh salads but feel free to experiment.
Some of my favourite tofu recipes are my broccoli and peas quiche with a sweet potato crust, my tofu saag “paneer” curry and for a naughty dessert my 4 ingredient boozy dark chocolate mousse is incredible!
THE BEST CRISPY TOFU (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 200g firm tofu
- Sesame oil or coconut oil
For the marinade:
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp garlic and ginger puree / 2 cloves of garlic and 1 inch of ginger minced finely
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Combine the marinade ingredients and stir well
- Press and cube the tofu into bite sized pieces and leave the tofu in the marinade for as long as possible but for at least 20 minutes
- Heat the oven to 200’C and add a tablespoon of sesame or coconut oil to the baking tray
- Add the tofu and bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes, turning halfway through
- The tofu is ready when it is crispy on the outside but still moist and juicy on the inside – take a piece out and cut it in half to check if unsure!
- Serve hot and enjoy!